Explore the metaverse on your own
Open a Wallet
Your Key to the Metaverse
• You need a cryptocurrency wallet to access certain virtual worlds. MetaMask lets you buy, store, send, and swap tokens; it’s available as a browser extension and as a mobile app.
• Click here to open an account: https://metamask.io/
• Write down your private key in ‘cold storage’ (i.e. keep it off the internet). Other wallets include Coinbase Wallet, WalletConnect, Fortmatic.
• For an overview of MetaMask: https://youtu.be/YVgfHZMFFFQ (2:14)
• For a guide to getting started: https://youtu.be/GNPz-Dv5BjM (2:00)
Buy an NFT
Browse NFTs on OpenSeahttps://opensea.io
Building your Worth
NFTs enable one-of-a-kind digital assets, and that has been heavily explored in the space of collectible art. OpenSea is the world’s largest NFT marketplace where you can ‘mint’ (create) or buy & sell NFTs. As of early January 2022, it is worth $13.3B only four years after it was founded.
• Click here to go to OpenSea and create an account. You will need to connect your crypto wallet: https://opensea.io/
• Explore collections and buy an NFT. The “floor price” is the minimum entry bid price; the symbol means Ethereum (worth $3,068.72 on 19 Jan 2022).
• If you or your teams are artistically inclined, you can also mint your own NFTs – for inspiration, see the VMLY&R Goldfish case study.
• Other NFT marketplaces include Rarible, Nifty Gateway, and Binance NFT.
• How to buy an NFT on OpenSea with MetaMask / Coinbase: https://youtu.be/E-1f7oyg0Lo (0:59)
Join a Virtual World
You have arrived
• Jump into a virtual world. Your options here are endless, but one place to start is Decentraland as one of the most open-source and all-purpose worlds. It runs on its own cryptocurrency MANA (for making in-world purchases) and you will need a MetaMask wallet to open an account.
• Enter the world here using your computer: https://play.decentraland.org/
• Create an avatar, walk around the spaces available (using your keys or jumping through the map to certain areas or coordinates), and start a conversation – either a with stranger or a friend / colleague there at the same time.
• Decentraland – getting started: https://youtu.be/N84IE5rTmkE (8:29)
• You might also want to sign up with Roblox or Fortnite to explore a long-standing gaming world. This will demonstrate these established ‘single-purpose’ virtual worlds (often focused on gaming) as opposed to an open, multi-purpose world like Decentraland.
Explore a Space
Join a Discordhttps://discord.com/
Join the Community
Christmas 2021 provided massive sales for Meta’s Oculus Quest 2, and when you see the immersive possibilities of VR, the appeal is clear. Either buy or borrow a headset – explore gaming, VR video content, and ‘meeting room applications’ to explore what is possible on today’s dedicated hardware.
• Discord is probably the premier gathering space for communities interested in this space – make an account (https://discord.com/) and search for ‘NFTs’ or ‘decentraland’ to jump into the conversations from long-time and new enthusiasts.
• How to join Discord: https://youtu.be/OIqyPJQAgT4 (3:45)
The VMLY&R Metaverse Playbook
Make it work
Understanding your approach
It's one thing to understand what the metaverse is, and an entirely different thing to understand how to exist within it. This playbook illustrates how and why brands would want to establish a present within a metaverse and what makes them successful.
• Know your role within the metaverse. What kind of experiences can we bring to the meta verse? How does it fit into people’s lives?
• What and how does your brand voice resonate within a metaverse platform?
• Explore and understand your audience. How do consumer persona + metaverse persona mix or remain unique?
• Choose the right platforms to thrive. Until there is a single metaverse, knowing where a brand can play is paramount.
Metaverse Paradox Table Brian Yamada
Learn more about the paradox that exists in the Metaverse in this quick video.Watch Video
Decoding the Metaverse Luke Hurd - VMLY&R
This session was presented at RE/IMAGINE CULTURE, the first of a three-part series. Learn more at VMLYR.com/Reimagine.Watch Video
Making of the Wendyverse Glenn Scott - VMLY&R
Learn how the Wendyverse came to life within Roblox.Watch Video
Bringing Brands to Life Across the Indefinable Metaverse Jeff Danley
Jeff Danley VMLY&R’s Director Innovation & Partnerships lays out the steps any brand needs to take to strategically enter the Metaverse, and explains how Wendy’s spread across the the world of digital gaming.View Article
Understanding NFTs Jeff Danley
An Introduction to Terminology, Creation, and Marketing of NFTsView PDF
The Many Levels of the MetaverseTaylor Patchen + Jeff Danley
VMLY&R, winner of a Cannes Grand Prix for its work in Fortnite, is here to guide you on the ultimate tour of the Metaverse and its ever-changing virtual worlds.Watch Video
The Metaverse - Brands that Effectively Leverage the NextVMLY&R
Explore the virtual worlds of the Metaverse and how brands are participating in the the varying degrees of them. Gaming, Real Estate, and moreView PDF
The Metaverse and Spatial WebSubvrsive
Augmented and mixed reality (AR and MR) mean the Metaverse can blend into our real, physical reality. In this session, specialists from Subvrsive explore how virtual space can extend into the physical, enabling brand connections that drive commerce, and showrooming experiences that connect consumers to products in a virtual setting.Watch Video
Commerce in the Metaverse Andy Hood
Join three WPP commerce experts as they discuss digital fashion and commerce, including how mixed-reality retail experiences in the APAC region offer us a vision of the future.Watch Video
Legal Top Tips for Today's Metaverses WPP
WPP Legal breaks down the do’s and don’tsView PDF
What the Metaverse means for retail today, and what's in store for tomorrowInsider Intelligence
Though the Metaverse remains a fuzzy concept, a growing number of brands and retailers are jumping on the bandwagon. - From the VMLY&R Knowledge BarView PDF
Reimagining Roblox: fad or futureJeff Danley
With over 200 million monthly active users and brands from music to luxury goods getting in on the act, Roblox is showing no signs of approaching a game over. It's evolving, becoming a foundational pillar of the metaverse.View Video
CES 2022 Summary VMLY&R Commerce
Curt Munk, CSO VMLY&R Commerce, explores CES 2022 and shows us innovative technologies across robotics, metaverse, and more that are guiding the future.View Keynote
Innovative Partner Technology Powering the Metaverse
EPIC AN EPIC VISION FOR THE METAVERSE
Epic Games, the company behind Fortnite, shares its view of the Metaverse and how you can future-proof your clients and your own business for this exciting vision for the future.
NextNav BRINGING THE METAVERSE INTO THE 3RD DIMENSION
The Metaverse fuses physical and digital worlds like never before. As we live in a 3D world, our data, mapping